- 1 -3 1/2 lb chicken, quartered and skinned
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- ghee or butter
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 cups yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds, ground
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons dried tamarind, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons hot water, worked through a sieve, discarding the seeds
- Salt and pepper the chicken quarters. Heat a large frying pan and brown the chicken in the Ghee. You will have to do this in two batches.
- Remove the chicken to a 6-quart stove-top covered casserole, leaving the fat in the pan.
- Add the garlic and onion to the pan and sauté until golden brown.
- Add to the casserole along with the ginger, cumin, mustard seed, cinnamon, cloves, turmeric, cayenne, and paprika.
- Sauté all for a few minutes and add all the remaining ingredients except for the garnishes.
- Cover and simmer until the chicken is tender. about 45 minutes. Stir a few times during cooking; partially remove the lid during the last 10 minutes or so to thicken the sauce. Top with garnishes.
- Ghee: Butter that is cooked to separate the clear butter fat from the milk solids and moisture, an ingenious method that allows butter to keep for long periods of time.
- Tamarind: Tamarind paste and concentrate, fresh products, are available in the produce section of many ethnic markets. Both products, made from the tamarind pod, need to be reconstituted.
- 10 whole dried red chiles
- 1/2 cup of white vinegar
- 5 large red onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- One 1/4-inch piece unpeeled ginger, roughly chopped
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups canned tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon Kashmiri red chile powder
- 1 tablespoon red chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Soak the chiles in the vinegar in a small bowl for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the onions in a food processor and process until they become a paste. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside. Place the ginger and garlic in the food processor and process until they become a paste. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside. When the chiles are done soaking, place in the food processor and process until they become a paste. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the vegetable oil and heat it. Add the bay leaves, cloves, cardamom pods, cumin seed and cinnamon stick and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the onion paste and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic paste and cook, stirring occasionally, until the raw taste of the garlic goes away, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree. Add the chile paste, Kashmiri red chile powder, red chile powder, coriander, cumin, garam masala, turmeric powder and 1 tablespoon salt. Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Add the chicken and potatoes, cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Serve with rice.
Top Asked Questions
How to cook chicken vindaloo?Chicken Vindaloo - Preparation. Blend first 11 ingredients and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper in processor until paste forms. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add paste from processor and cook until golden, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add chicken and potatoes; sauté 5 minutes. Add broth; bring to boil.
What is vindaloo and is it vegetarian?It’s a heavily spiced dish that can be vegetarian or that can contain things like pork, chicken or tofu. Indian vindaloo tends to be fiery hot and spicy due to the chilies!
What is an authentic Vindaloo Curry?An authentic traditional vindaloo is a thick dry curry which is hot tasting with bursting flavors of garlic & spices. The authentic recipe uses no onion & no tomatoes. It is just the meat marinated and simmered in the vindaloo paste. We get to see so many variations of this dish in the restaurants with the use of onion and tomatoes.
How do you cook vindaloo masala?Fry till the chicken is well coated in the masala. Add the vindaloo masala and salt, fry further for 2 minutes. Add one cup of water, cover and cook till chicken is cooked through and the gravy is thick. Garnish with coriander and serve hot.
Skirt steak marinated in hoisin sauce.
Provided by Nesto
This is from "Herbs and Spices the Cook's Reference" by Jill Norman. Use to rub onto fish or steak before grilling, or over a chicken before roasting.
Provided by Engrossed
Provided by hanley89
My mother sent me this unusual recipe back in the 70's. I was baking rolls in a health food restaurant at the time. The restaurant wanted me to come up...
Provided by XanderBby
I saw this recipe in TOH and changed a few things to suit my own tastes. It is very easy to throw together and has a very satisfying flavor and texture....
Provided by SaddleUp87
We heard your feedback and went back to the drawing board to double the sauciness of this recipe. Loaded with bacon and ranch seasoning, this chicken noodle...
Provided by By Cindy Rahe
This delicious breakfast-style casserole is hearty and savory enough to serve anytime of the day. Recipe is from Carnation. Note: For just the 4 of us,...
Provided by CookingONTheSide
Chewy, crispy peanut butter bars are spread with chocolate and butterscotch for a new family favorite treat.
Provided by Karo Corn Syrup
I hardly make any other cookies but these. they are so wonderful! They are loaded with lots of butterscotch, chocolate chips and oatmeal!! I make these...
Provided by cookin_nurse
Every dinner tastes better when cheesy garlic bread is on the menu. This flavorful loaf, prepped in just 10 minutes, gets a boost from Land O Lakes Butter...
Provided by By Deborah Harroun
Make and share this Cheesy Garlic Bread recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Honeybeee
Provided by Food Network
Make and share this Patak's Quick & Easy Chicken Vindaloo recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Lelandra
This recipe is adapted from a Family Circle recipe circa 1999. I have tweaked it to my liking but the integrity of the dish remains throughout. It's super...
Provided by doleful
Every year around September I get a HUGE craving for anything and everything pumpkin--especially this year since I'm expecting a little one this winter!...
Provided by smellyvegetarian
A very pretty, light, moist tea cake. IF you use the tube or bundt pan, you can use the center as a flower vase by picking fall flowers, wrapping them...
Provided by bayou-mimi
Great for a ladies' brunch or luncheon or just a breakfast/dessert! Sprinkle with edible flowers! (For a broader gender audience, add a cinnammon stick,...
Provided by GoldsmithLissa
Make and share this Baked Butternut Squash recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Parsley
Make and share this Tennessee T-Cakes recipe from Food.com.
Provided by internetnut
People also searched
More about "chicken vindaloo food"
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - SWASTHI'S RECIPES
Ratings 78Calories 670 per servingCategory Main
CHICKEN VINDALOO (AUTHENTIC RECIPE!) - RASA MALAYSIA
4.3/5 (48)Total Time 50 minsCategory Indian RecipesCalories 360 per serving
- In another clean glass bowl add vinegar and soak all the ingredients needed for the spice blend for 15-20 minutes. Then blend these into a fine paste using a blender.
- Add the spice mixture paste to the chicken and toss well to evenly coat all the chicken pieces. Let the chicken marinate for 4-6 hours.
- In a large and deep skillet/wok heat the oil on medium heat. Add the marinated chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes. Stirring often.
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
Cuisine IndianTotal Time 45 minsCategory Dinner, Main CourseCalories 358 per serving
- To prepare the chicken, mix the lemon juice, diced chicken, vinegar, garlic and ginger together in a large bowl with the dried spices. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours, or overnight.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add the spices, onion and salt. Cook, stirring, until the onion is browned but not burnt, about 10-15 mins. Reduce the heat to medium and add the marinated chicken. Cook, stirring, for another 5 mins. Add a splash of water, reduce the heat slightly, cover and simmer for 15-20 mins until the chicken is cooked through.
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
3.9/5 (43)Total Time 1 hr 5 minsCategory World Cuisine, Asian, IndianCalories 417 per serving
- Toast the turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, cloves, cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-low heat until the spices are fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir the spices constantly as they toast, taking care that they do not burn. Stir in the olive oil, onion, garlic, and ginger. Increase heat to medium, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste until no lumps of paste remain. Add the chicken, potatoes, tomatoes, chicken broth, wine vinegar, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are tender, and the chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 15 minutes. Remove the cover, and cook 5 minutes more to thicken slightly. Season to taste with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to serve.
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - NDTV FOOD
5/5 (3)Category IndianServings 2Total Time 1 hr 5 mins
HOW TO COOK THE PERFECT... VINDALOO – RECIPE | FOOD | THE ...
Author Felicity CloakeEstimated Reading Time 8 mins
CHICKEN VINDALOO CURRY RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
Ratings 19Calories 435 per servingCategory Dinner, Entree, Lunch
BEST CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN VINDALOO
Servings 4Total Time 1 hr 20 minsCategory Mains
GOAN CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE BY ARCHANA'S KITCHEN
4.9/5 Servings 5Cuisine Goan RecipesTotal Time 50 mins
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
2.7/5 (75)Servings 4
WHAT IS VINDALOO? EVERYTHING YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT …
SPICY CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - FOOD.COM
Servings 6Total Time 45 minsCategory CurriesCalories 385 per serving
- Mix your first 11 ingredients and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper in processor until a smooth paste forms. Heat your canola oil in a mid sized non-stick pot over medium-high heat. Add your paste from your processor and cook until just shy of brown, stirring for about 4 minutes. Add your cubed chicken and cubed red potatoes; simmer about 6 minutes.
- Add you chicken broth and raise it to a boil. Reduce your heat to medium-low; cover and let cook until potatoes are softened, stir every so often, this should take about about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Uncover your pan and saute until your cubed chicken is completely cooked, about 5-7 minutes. Serve over basmati rice, raita or naan, and enjoy your spicy chicken vindaloo.
QUICK AND EASY CHICKEN VINDALOO - KITCHEN DREAMING
4.8/5 (13)Total Time 50 minsCategory MainCalories 188 per serving
- In a large and deep skillet or wok heat the oil over medium heat. Add the marinated chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes. Stirring often.
SLOW COOKER OR INSTANT POT CHICKEN VINDALOO - WHOLESOMELICIOUS
5/5 (6)Estimated Reading Time 5 minsServings 6Total Time 5 hrs 10 mins
- Mix together spices into a small bowl. Add spices, ginger, garlic, peppers, tomato paste, tomatoes, vinegar, and broth to a food processor or blender and pulse. Continue to pulse until a thin paste/sauce is formed pausing to scrape down the sides when needed.
- Select the saute function on the Instant Pot. Coat the bottom of your pot with oil once hot, then add onion, ginger, garlic, and peppers. Saute for 3-4 minutes, until fragrant and lightly browned. Select cancel.
EXCELLENT CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - FOOD.COM
5/5 (1)Total Time 1 hr 35 minsCategory ChickenCalories 423 per serving
- Wash 6 chicken thighs. Remove the skin and excess fat and place the thighs in a large mixing bowl.
- In a large nonstick frying pan put the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, peppercorns, whole cloves, cardamom seeds, and the 2 dried red chilies. Stir-fry the whole spices over medium heat until they have lightly browned.
- Put the toasted spices into a spice grinder. Add the salt, cayenne powder, turmeric and cinnamon. Powder everything together.
CHICKEN VINDALOO - THE GOURMET GOURMAND
Reviews 10Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
- In a large skillet toast whole spices over medium heat. Stir constantly to avoid burning. Once cumin seeds begin to pop and mixture becomes fragrant, transfer to small bowl to cool. Once cool, grind whole spices in a spice grinder until fine.
- In a blender combine ground spice mixture with chili powder, turmeric, 1 tsp of brown sugar, 8 cloves of garlic, ½ ginger, and ¼ cup of vinegar. Pour in ½ cup of water. Blend until smooth. Scrape down sides of blender as needed.
- Pour mixture over the chicken pieces and marinate in refrigerator for at least 1 hour, and up to 24 hours.
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute for 25 minutes, or until very softened and golden brown. Meanwhile, grate the remaining 8 cloves of garlic and remaining ginger using a microplane grater. Mince chiles until fine. Add garlic, ginger, and chiles to onion mixture and saute an additional 5 minutes.
CHUNKY CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - FOOD.COM
5/5 (1)Category ChickenAuthor Philip T.Calories 1185 per serving
- Add the vinegar and water stir and add the chicken bring to the boil, cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes.
GOAN CHICKEN VINDALOO | CHICKEN RECIPES - MOTIONS AND EMOTIONS
4.9/5 (14)Servings 4Cuisine Goan, IndianCategory Side Dish
- Dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, black peppercorns, cinnamon stick, cardamom, clove and after cooling them take into a blender and blend them to dry powder.
- Now add ginger, garlic and soaked chilli along with the vinegar into the blender and make a smooth paste and add tamarind to this paste.
VINDALOO CURRY | RESTAURANT STYLE LAMB VINDALOO RECIPE ...
4.6/5 (50)Category Lamb Curry RecipesCuisine IndianTotal Time 25 mins
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat and then throw in the cardamom pods, star anise and bay leaf. Allow these ingredients to infuse into the oil for about 30 seconds and then add the garlic ginger paste.
- Stir the garlic ginger paste into the spice infused oil and then add all the chopped chillies. Fry these for about 30 seconds and then add the ground spices and fry for a further 30 seconds.
- Your pan might be looking a bit dry at this point. Add the tomato puree and a couple of ladles of the base sauce and bring to a simmer. Only stir if it looks like the sauce is sticking to the pan.
- Stir in the pre-cooked lamb and stir to coat with the sauce. Simmer for about 3 minutes adding more base if it is looking dry.
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE, AUTHENTIC CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE
4.9/5 (7)Category MainCuisine Goan, IndianTotal Time 35 mins
- Marinate chicken by adding above six ingredients chicken cubes, rice vinegar, ground cumin, turmeric powder and salt in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Marinate chicken for at least 30 minutes. If you are not in hurry, marinate for longer as it will add more taste.
- Gather ingredients whole black peppercorns, bay leaf, cardamom pods, dried red finger chilies, whole cloves.
- In a grinder or blender add garlic, green chilies, ginger, tamarind and cinnamon powder. Blend mixture to a smooth paste.
- Place a pan over medium heat. Add two tablespoon of oil (I prefer ghee). Add the chopped onions. I like to use chopped onion instead of onion paste because sometime paste turns curry taste bitter.
CROCK POT CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - FOOD.COM
4.5/5 (147)Total Time 5 hrs 10 minsCategory One Dish MealCalories 278 per serving
CHICKEN VINDALOO (STEP BY STEP RECIPE) - CULTURE TO CUISINE
Cuisine IndianCategory Main CourseServings 4Total Time 2 hrs 30 mins
EASY CHICKEN VINDALOO - MY BODY MY KITCHEN
Reviews 1Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
A CHEAT SHEET TO INDIAN RESTAURANT MENUS - FOOD IS DELICIOUS.
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
VINDALOO FOR CHICKEN OR LAMB RECIPE | RACHAEL RAY | FOOD ...
5/5 (8)Author Rachael RayCuisine IndianCategory Main-Dish
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK KITCHEN | FOOD …
5/5 (1)Author Food Network KitchenServings 4Category Main-Dish
THE BEST CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - MINISTRY OF CURRY
4.7/5 (3)Calories 133 per servingCategory Dinner
VIBRANT VINDALOO CHICKEN | CHICKEN.CA
Servings 4Calories 255 per serving
VINDALOO - WIKIPEDIA
Main ingredients Pork, vinegar, spices, chili peppersAlternative names VindalhoRegion or state GoaPlace of origin India
INSTANT POT CHICKEN VINDALOO - THE GOURMET RD
5/5 (1)Total Time 455800 hrs 39 minsCategory DinnerPublished 2021-04-28
A CHICKEN'S VINDALOO - PINCH OF NOM
Cuisine Fakeaway, IndianCalories 335 per servingCategory Dinner, Main Course
GOAN STYLE CHICKEN VINDALOO FOR CHRISTMAS | ONMANORAMA FOOD
Estimated Reading Time 30 secs
INDIAN CHICKEN VINDALOO | INDIAN | NON-VEGETARIAN | RECIPE
Cuisine IndianCategory Non-Vegetarian
CHICKEN VINDALOO RECIPE - INDIAN FOOD FOREVER
Estimated Reading Time 40 secs
CHICKEN VINDALHO OR VINDALOO - KRAVINGS FOOD ADVENTURES
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
PATAKS VINDALOO CURRY PASTE RECIPES
CHICKEN VINDALOO AND CHICKEN SAAG FROM SAFFRON ROAD FOOD ...
INDIAN FOOD CHICKEN VINDALOO CURRY OVER BASMATI RICE WALL ...
CHICKEN VINDALOO NUTRITION FACTS - EAT THIS MUCH
BEST INDIAN FOOD RESTAURANTS NEAR ME - BLIST'R FRESH NAAN ...
GOAN CHICKEN VINDALOO - INDIAN FOOD RECIPES - FOOD AND ...
CHICKEN VINDALOO - LITTLE INDIA
WEST SIDE RAG » HERE’S THE DISH: ALACHI MASALA’S CHICKEN ...
RECIPE - VINDALOO CHICKEN
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CHICKN TIKKA MASALA AND ...
GOAN RECIPES: 4 WAYS TO MAKE THE SPICY VINDALOO CURRY AT ...