GLAZED TOFU WITH CHILE AND STAR ANISE
This sauce - a dark, star anise-spiced caramel intermingled with rice wine, soy sauce, ginger and scallions - builds sweet, acidic and umami notes as it coats and infuses tofu. Sichuan hui guo rou, or twice-cooked pork, inspired the technique used here with tofu: The blocks are first seared whole, then torn into bite-size pieces and returned to the pan, where the craggy edges absorb the sauce. Additions from your pantry, such as a spoonful of doubanjiang, or fermented broad bean paste, fermented black beans or chile oil can invite deeper, more complex flavors. Serve warm with steamed rice and stir-fried greens.
Provided by Yewande Komolafe
Categories dinner, weekday, vegetables, main course
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 13
- 2 (14-ounce) packages firm tofu, drained
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil, such as canola or grapeseed
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 cup vegetable broth or stock
- 1/4 cup Shaoxing wine
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce (see Tip)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece fresh ginger, scrubbed and thinly sliced
- 1 small hot dried chile
- 6 scallions, whites cut into 1/2-inch pieces, greens thinly sliced
- Steamed rice, for serving
- Place the tofu blocks between paper towels and press gently to remove excess liquid.
- In a large skillet or cast-iron pan, warm the oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Season both sides of the tofu with salt and place in the pan; sear without moving until the contact side is browned, about 4 minutes. Turn the pieces over and sear the other side until browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer the tofu to a plate.
- Carefully add 1/2 cup water, the sugar and star anise to the pan. (The mixture will sputter and steam.) Cook, stirring, until the syrup is reduced and turns deep amber, 4 to 5 minutes. Pour in the stock carefully (again being mindful of sputtering), Shaoxing, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and chile and cook, stirring frequently, until reduced, syrupy and glossy, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Use your fingers to break the tofu into 1/2-inch pieces, return to the pan and add the scallion whites. Toss to coat with the sauce and cook until warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and discard the star anise and dried chile. Garnish with scallion greens and serve immediately with steamed rice.
SOY AND GINGER GLAZED TOFU
I love tofu...I like how it picks up the flavor of whatever sauce it's coated with. I especially liked this recipe where the tofu is browned a bit before having the sauce poured on top. This can be served warm or at room temperature. It would be a good addition to a bento box (Japanese boxed lunch). I found this gem in the Chicago Tribune, which attributes it to Ron Bilaro.
Provided by Hey Jude
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 inch piece fresh gingerroot, grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) package firm tofu, drained
- 1 green onion, chopped (white and some green)
- Stir cornstarch into water in a small bowl until dissolved; set aside. Heat vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil in a small saucepan over medium heat; whisk dissolved cornstarch into the soy mixture. Cook, whisking, until mixture starts to thicken, about 20 seconds. Remove from heat and stir in ginger and garlic. Set aside.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray; heat over high heat. Add tofu and cook, turning turning several times, until all four sides of the block are beginning to brown, about 2 minutes each side. Set aside for 2 minutes and then slice into 6 slices. Transfer to a platter and pour soy mixture over slices, then garnish with the chopped green onions.
- You can slice and brown the tofu any way that you prefer -- cut it into logs, blocks or even little bunny shapes if that's what you like!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 72, Fat 5, SaturatedFat 0.9, Sodium 108.5, Carbohydrate 2.3, Fiber 0.7, Sugar 0.5, Protein 5.7
Top Asked Questions
How to cook tofu with soy sauce?Place the soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger, pear, green onion whites, sesame oil, gochujang, and 1 tablespoon of water into a bowl and whisk to mix. Remove the tofu from the kitchen paper and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Coat the bottom of a large non-stick frying pan with the canola oil and line a plate with a couple of sheets of paper towel.
How to make tofu sushi?How to Make It. Step 1. In a small bowl, whisk the soy sauce with the sugar, red pepper, garlic, sesame oil, ginger and sesame seeds. Step 2. Slice the tofu crosswise into 8 thin slabs. Dry the tofu with paper towels, pressing until no moisture remains. Step 3. In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil until shimmering.
How do you cook tofu in a frying pan?Remove the tofu from the kitchen paper and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Coat the bottom of a large non-stick frying pan with the canola oil and line a plate with a couple of sheets of paper towel. Heat the oil until it reaches smoking point and fry the tofu slices for 8 minutes until golden on both sides.
How to cook tofu with canola oil?Coat the bottom of a large non-stick frying pan with the canola oil and line a plate with a couple of sheets of paper towel. Heat the oil until it reaches smoking point and fry the tofu slices for 8 minutes until golden on both sides. Remove the tofu to the plate, allowing the paper to absorb some of the excess oil.
Ginger-laced, heart-shaped sugar cookies offer a sweetly spicy crunch.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Made with high-fat, cultured butter, these melt-in-your-mouth almond cookies are like the most tender shortbread you've ever eaten. A simple confectioners'...
Provided by Melissa Clark
Remember old-fashioned chewy ginger cookies? These get an extra spicy hit from crystallized ginger.
Provided by Betty Crocker Kitchens
Make our multifunctional ginger and honey loaf cake. Enjoy with yogurt and stewed fruit for a festive brunch, or try as a teatime treat slathered with...
Provided by Barney Desmazery
A deliciously moist never-fail loaf. I bake this loaf before bed and leave it in the cooling oven overnight. NO hard crusts!
Provided by Mandy
Make and share this Gingerbread Cranberry Biscotti recipe from Food.com.
Provided by ellie3763
The simplest of vinaigrettes, this recipe requires simply four ingredients, two of which are salt and pepper. It's a perfect dressing to throw on a simple...
Provided by Pierre Franey
This sauce - a dark, star anise-spiced caramel intermingled with rice wine, soy sauce, ginger and scallions - builds sweet, acidic and umami notes as it...
Provided by Yewande Komolafe
I love tofu...I like how it picks up the flavor of whatever sauce it's coated with. I especially liked this recipe where the tofu is browned a bit before...
Provided by Hey Jude
Provided by LawyerMom
This chicken is absolutely delicious. The kids cleaned their plates which is very rare and my husband raved about it. Of course check each spice and the...
Provided by Dannygirl
Yummy Goa chicken specialty...relished by all alike! Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve hot with boiled rice or bread.
Provided by dVOKDAqueen
Make and share this Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Pizza recipe from Food.com.
Provided by kelly in TO
This Pancake Day try a new take on banoffee pie. Sticky dulce de leche and sweet bananas make an irresistible topping for fluffy pancakes
Provided by Esther Clark
This base of this recipe is called Puyallup Fair Scones (Recipe #183806)...I of course had to mess with a good thing and here's the recipe I came up with....
Provided by Mrs Goodall
Make a quick, hearty weeknight supper with this all-in-one chicken curry bake. Serve with naans and finely chopped red onion
Provided by Esther Clark
Top banana crisp with whipped cream for a tempting baked dessert.
Provided by Betty Crocker Kitchens
From the KC Star (local newspaper) n adapted from Southern Living...it looks so DARN and HEALTHY that I wish I could eat some right now! :P
Provided by Vanessa
People also searched
More about "soy and ginger glazed tofu food"
GLAZED TOFU RECIPE | LEITE'S CULINARIA
Cuisine AsianCategory EntreesServings 3-4Total Time 30 mins
- Place the tofu in a resealable container so all the pieces lie flat in a single layer. In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, sugar, ginger, garlic, cayenne, black pepper, and ground chile. Then pour enough of the sauce over the tofu to completely coat it. Cover and refrigerate the tofu for at least 6 hours or overnight. If you have any extra marinade, cover and refrigerate it, too.
- Remove the tofu from the marinade, reserving the marinade. Heat a nonstick skillet over low heat. Pour about 1/4 of the marinade in the skillet and, once it starts to sizzle, add about 1/2 the tofu, taking care not to crowd the skillet. Pour a little more marinade from the container into the skillet so the tofu is covered. Cook the tofu, occasionally spooning the marinade over the tofu, until it’s nicely glazed and caramelized, 6 to 8 minutes. Carefully flip the tofu and cook on the other side, occasionally spooning marinade over the tofu, until it’s warmed through, 4 to 6 minutes more. If a more robust flavor is desired, continue to cook the tofu until the glaze simmers and reduces slightly. Repeat with the remaining marinade and tofu.
- Divvy the tofu among plates, drizzle with the sesame oil, if desired, and serve alongside steamed rice.
CRISPY BAKED TOFU WITH GINGER SOY SAUCE - HEALTHY FAMILY …
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
- Cut tofu in half. Place paper towels on cutting board and place tofu on top. Cover with more paper towels and place something semi-heavy like a cast iron skillet on top. Press 15 minutes to drain excess moisture.
- Cut tofu into cubes and toss with oil and salt. Place tofu on baking sheet so they’re not touching.
GINGER SOY MARINATED TOFU - SARAH'S VEGAN KITCHEN
- Drain block of tofu and wrap in a clean kitchen towel. Press with a plate or book for 10 minutes to remove extra liquid while you prepare the marinade.
- Cut pressed tofu into desired shapes. 1/2″ steaks or 1″ cubes work well. Toss cut tofu in the marinade to coat, then cover and set in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. (It’s ideal to let this marinate for a few hours or overnight.)
- Thread tofu cubes on skewers and grill, or grill tofu steaks directly on grill grates until slightly charred. You can also bake this tofu on a parchment-lined tray for 35-40 minutes at 400°F, flipping halfway. You can also pan-fry this tofu in a nonstick skillet or cast-iron until slightly charred; but note that the sugar in the marinade will caramelize quickly, so keep an eye on it and use medium heat.
GINGER SOY TOFU BOWL - COOKING MANIAC
5/5 (1)Total Time 40 minsEstimated Reading Time 5 mins
SOY-GLAZED CHICKEN AND TOFU WITH SPRING VEGETABLES - FOOD …
Author Anthony MartinSteps 4Difficulty Easy
GINGER SOY TOFU [VEGAN] - ONE GREEN PLANET
Estimated Reading Time 1 min
GRILLED SOY, GINGER AND LIME TOFU STEAKS WITH CHARRED
Author Sarah Mastracco for Food Network KitchenSteps 6Difficulty Easy
GINGER-SOY GLAZED BABY BACK RIBS - KIKKOMAN FOOD SERVICES
THIS CRISPY GLAZED TOFU WILL CONVERT EVEN HARDCORE TOFU HATERS
SOY-GLAZED TOFU WITH SPINACH RECIPE - MELISSA CLARK | FOOD & WINE
GINGER BALSAMIC SOY GLAZED BRUSSELS SPROUTS AND TOFU
GINGER AND ORANGE-GLAZED TOFU - RICARDO
BAKED TOFU WITH SWEET ORANGE GINGER SAUCE - SLENDER KITCHEN
FRIED TOFU WITH SPICY GINGER-SESAME SAUCE - FOOD & WINE
ORANGE AND GINGER GLAZED TOFU [VEGAN] - ONE GREEN PLANET
SESAME GINGER GLAZED TOFU BOWLS – IN THE KITCHEN
WARM TOFU WITH SOY SAUCE, GINGER, AND SCALLION - LEITE'S CULINARIA
SOY-GLAZED SESAME TOFU RECIPE | MYRECIPES
CRISPY GLAZED TOFU WITH BOK CHOY RECIPE | EATINGWELL
ORANGE GINGER TOFU - INSPIRED EDIBLES
HONEY SOY TOFU - EASY CHEESY VEGETARIAN RECIPES
SOY GINGER GLAZE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
SWEET AND SAVORY GLAZED ORANGE TOFU - THE VEGAN ATLAS
SESAME SOY GINGER BAKED TOFU - VICKI RETELNY
GRILLED SOY-GINGER GLAZED TOFU | AMERICA'S TEST KITCHEN
CRISPY FRIED TOFU WITH A SWEET SOY GLAZE - LAZYHOMECOOK
ORANGE AND GINGER GLAZED TOFU - CILANTRO AND CITRONELLA
VEGAN SESAME GINGER BAKED TOFU RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
GINGER-GLAZED GRILLED TOFU - MY THERAPIST COOKS
BAKED SOY GINGER TOFU | USDA RECIPE FOR SCHOOLS - PROJECT BREAD
THE BEST CRISPY TOFU WITH HONEY SOY GLAZE - HEALTHY VEGAN RECIPES
SILKEN TOFU AND CARROT WITH SOY-GINGER SAUCE - EPICURIOUS
HONEY-SOY-GINGER GLAZE RECIPE | EATINGWELL
TOFU THAT’S CRISPY AND GLAZED ALL AT THE SAME TIME - BON APPéTIT
GINGER SOY TOFU BOWL | EASY CRISPY TOFU EDAMAME BROWN RICE BOWL
TOFU WITH SOY-GINGER VEGETABLES RECIPE - CUISINART.COM
GLAZED TOFU BITES WITH PEANUTS AND GINGER | RICARDO
MAPLE, SOY AND GINGER GLAZED CRISPY TOFU. TOFU REALLY
SOY-BROWN SUGAR GLAZED PAN-FRIED TOFU - SPICE THE PLATE
EASY SESAME GLAZED TOFU - OLIVES FOR DINNER
HONEY-SOY GLAZE RECIPE | REAL SIMPLE
SESAME GINGER GRILLED TOFU - VEGAN HUGGS
TOFU IN GINGER SOY SAUCE - THE LAZY BROCCOLI
JESSICA SEINFELD'S GLAZED GINGER-BARBECUE TOFU RECIPE
TOFU STIR FRY WITH SOY SAUCE, GARLIC AND GINGER - POSH JOURNAL
GINGER GLAZED TOFU MEATBALLS - CONNOISSEURUS VEG